Monday, May 17, 2010

"Not Me!" Monday


Welcome to Not Me! Monday! This blog carnival was created by MckMama. You can head over to her blog to read what she and everyone else have not been doing this week. Here's my story...

Okay...so much for the sunny California that everyone raves about. This spring is unusually long and rainy, which is good for the summer months here by helping fight off drought, but it is seriously putting a damper on mine and Lucy's excursion time. This same day last year it was 102 degrees and I was worrying about Lucy's salt intake and hydration, but today is 60 degrees and raining! What gives?!

Just two days ago, on Saturday, it was bright and sunny here at home. It was certainly not my amazing idea to load up the car and head out on a two hour drive to go to the beach that day. It was not me who promised Lucy a full day of sand castle making and splashing in the Pacific, only to make her turn around and come home after 45 minutes of beach walking. Nope. Not me. I would never be so cruel as to promise something like that, something of that caliber of excitement, to a two year old only to then take it all away. It was Mother Nature who shattered all of her expectations for that day.

It was not me who was so shocked and disappointed that it was a mere 48 degrees, foggy and windy on the beach when we arrived there. It was not me who stubbornly wrapped Lucy in the Moby wrap, blanket around both of us, to take a walk on the sand, bravely walking into the blistering wind. There were only about two dozen other brave souls on the beach, half of them being seagulls waiting for a snack to wash up in the surf.

It was not us who took shelter in the back seat of the car just to have lunch. Another day in the life of a CF Mom...trying to make the best of some disappointing moments. As you can see it was not me who dressed us completely inappropriately for the weather. It was not I who had her swimsuit on underneath the short sleeved shirt! Mid-May is supposed to be warm here, I swear!


It was not me who really wanted to stop on the way out at this look-out point. It was a freezing, short walk, but still quite the sight to see. Water breaking on the rocks with fog rolling all around us, and surrounded by blooming bushes and plants. It was beautiful.


It will not be me who remains persistent and tries this same trip in a couple of weeks. Now that Lucy is getting older and her first reflex is not to shove sand in her mouth, we will be heading out to this beautiful beach very often this summer. It was me who assured Lucy that we would have plenty of time in the future to build sand castles that go sky high...as soon as it gets a little warmer!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Lucy! I am disappointed for her :) unfortunately crazy weather happens! I hope you get to go back soon!

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are appreciated! I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts with Thumbnails